The United States Probation Office
District of Colorado

Hon. Philip A. Brimmer, Chief Judge
Lavetra A. Morgan, Chief US Probation Officer

Our mission is to make the community safer by facilitating the administration of justice, providing opportunities for positive change while maintaining professional integrity, dignity, and respect for all.

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Probation FAQs


What type of identification do I need when reporting to the probation office?

All persons entering the United States Courthouse must present a valid picture ID. Visitors are required to pass through a magnetometer and have all belongings and packages subject to physical and/or x-ray examination. If you are an offender reporting subsequent to release from an institution or residential re-entry center, please bring with you any release documents you received.

Can the probation office tell me if someone is on supervision, and, if so, may I speak with the supervising officer about violations of the law or supervision conditions?

The fact that an individual is on supervision due to pretrial release, a probation sentence or a term of supervised release is a matter of public record, obtainable through the Clerk's Office of the United States District Court. We can relay that public information and can also advise if an individual is on parole. We cannot, however, disclose any additional file information. You may speak with the supervising officer to provide information that may be of assistance in the supervision of any individual under our supervision, including the reporting of apparent violation behavior.

I was released on bond and ordered to surrender my passport. Where do I do that?

You should surrender your passport to the Clerk’s Office of the United States District Court. The probation office does not accept passports.

I’ve pled guilty. What happens now?

Your attorney will be contacted by a probation officer to schedule the presentence investigation interview at the probation office. If you are on bond supervision, this generally will be a separate probation officer from the officer who is supervising you for pretrial supervision purposes. For detained defendants, the interview is held at the detention facility. The probation officer will meet with you and ask a variety of questions about your personal history. This information will be provided to the judge in a presentence investigation report. The report will also contain information about your federal case, any criminal history you have, and the sentencing options available to the Court. You and your attorney, as well as the Assistant United States Attorney assigned to your case, will have the opportunity to review the report before it is provided in its final version to the judge. You will have the opportunity, through your attorney, to comment on the report and file any objections to it. The report is provided to the Court approximately 10 days prior to your sentencing hearing.

I was sentenced and have been allowed to self-surrender/ voluntarily surrender to a federal institution. Am I still on pretrial supervision?

Unless otherwise ordered by the Court, pretrial defendants remain on supervision until such time that they surrender to prison.

Who will let me know when and where to voluntarily surrender?

If you are on pretrial supervision, your supervising officer will contact you with that information upon our office receiving it from the federal Bureau of Prisons. If you are on a personal recognizance bond, the probation officer who prepared your presentence investigation report will contact you with that information upon our office receiving it. You may also separately be notified by your attorney and/or the United States Marshals Service.

What can I bring to the prison when I voluntary surrender?

Information is available at the Bureau of Prisons website,

Where can I get more information about the institution where I have been designated?

Information about Bureau of Prisons facilities, including contact information and facility orientation handbooks, is available on the BOP’s website,

How can I find out where my family member/friend is incarcerated?

If the individual is incarcerated as a federal inmate, you can utilize the Bureau of Prisons inmate locator,

What is the difference between probation, parole, and supervised release?

Probation is a term of community supervision imposed by the Court in lieu of a prison sentence. Parole is a period of community supervision imposed by the United States Parole Commission to be completed after release from a prison term. Supervised release is a period of community supervision imposed by the Court to be completed after release from a jail or prison sentence.

I am going to be on probation or supervised release. What are the standard conditions of supervision?

Pursuant to federal statute, the Court must order, as an explicit condition of probation or supervised release, that you not commit another Federal, State or local crime during the term of supervision and that you not unlawfully possess a controlled substance. If your offense occurred after September 13, 1994, the Court must also order, as an explicit condition of supervision, that you refrain from any unlawful use of a controlled substance and submit to a drug test within 15 days of release and two periodic drug tests thereafter for use of a controlled substance, unless the presentence report or other reliable sentencing information indicates a low risk of future substance abuse by you. By statute, defendants are ordered to cooperate in the collection of DNA as directed by the probation officer. Possession of a firearm, ammunition, destructive devices, or any other dangerous weapon is prohibited as provided under federal law.

The Judgment issued in your case will specify the standard conditions of supervision that apply to you. Generally, these conditions will include:

  • that you not leave the judicial district without the permission of the court or probation officer;
  • that you report to the probation officer in a manner and frequency directed by the court or probation officer;
  • that you answer truthfully all inquiries by the probation officer and follow the instructions of the probation officer;
  • that you support your dependents and meet other family responsibilities;
  • that you work regularly at a lawful occupation, unless excused by the probation officer for schooling, training, or other acceptable reasons;
  • that you notify the probation officer at least ten days prior to any change in residence or employment;
  • that you refrain from excessive use of alcohol and not purchase, possess, use, distribute, or administer any controlled substance or any paraphernalia related to any controlled substances, except as prescribed by a physician;
  • that you not frequent places where controlled substances are illegally sold, used, distributed, or administered;
  • that you not associate with any persons engaged in criminal activity and shall not associate with any person convicted of a felony, unless granted permission to do so by the probation officer;
  • that you permit a probation officer to visit you at any time at home or elsewhere and permit confiscation of any contraband observed in plain view of the probation officer;
  • that you notify the probation officer within seventy-two hours of being arrested or questioned by a law enforcement officer;
  • that you not enter into any agreement to act as an informer or a special agent of a law enforcement agency without the permission of the court;
  • that, as directed by the probation officer, you notify third parties of risks that may be occasioned by your criminal record or personal history or characteristics and shall permit the probation officer to make such notifications and to confirm your compliance with such notification requirement; and
  • that you provide access to any requested financial information.

Your supervising officer will review all of your standard and any special conditions of supervision with you at the commencement of supervision and explain the expectations of each.

I was just released from a federal prison or residential re-entry center. When should I report to the probation office?

You should report to the federal probation office in the district to which you are released within 72 hours. If you are released on a Friday, you should report by the next business day.

I am on supervision with your office. Where can I travel?

Your bond or sentencing judgment sets forth the Court’s order regarding your travel. If your travel is restricted to the judicial district, our judicial district is the state of Colorado.

How do I request to travel outside the judicial district?

For clients on pretrial services supervision, your bond may require Court approval for travel, which requires a motion by your attorney. For probation, supervised release, and parole clients, travel generally is to be requested at least three weeks in advance. You should submit a written request for permission to travel to your supervising officer and await approval from your supervising officer. Generally travel is not permitted during the first 60 days of supervision.

While I am on probation or supervised release, will my probation officer contact my employer and/or visit me at my job?

Verifying your employment is an important role of your supervising probation officer. Your probation officer will discuss with you how verification of employment will be accomplished in your circumstances.

I am required to register as a sex offender. What should I do?

Registration requirements in Colorado are detailed on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation Sex Offender Registration website, Your supervising officer will also review the registration requirements with you at the commencement of supervision.

Can I vote while on supervision?

Voting eligibility for persons with criminal records is detailed on the Colorado Secretary of State website,

I have a condition of supervision for location monitoring. I need to request a change to my normal weekly schedule because I have an upcoming doctor’s appointment. What do I do?

Per your location monitoring participant agreement, leave exceptions to your normal schedule, including requests for time out for medical appointments, court appearances and attorney visits, are to be requested in advance by calling in to your officer on Mondays. If Monday is a holiday, requests are to be called in the next business day. If your officer does not answer, you are to leave a message for your officer with your name, phone number and the nature of your request. You are to adhere to your previously approved schedule and not deviate from your schedule unless you have spoken to you officer and confirmed the leave exception or schedule change has been approved.

I have a condition of supervision for location monitoring. I have an afterhours emergency situation that affects my schedule. What is the contact number to report my situation?

For clients on supervision with the Denver, Grand Junction, or Durango offices, call (303) 335-2459. For clients on supervision with the Colorado Springs office, call (719) 471-3387, ext. 219.

Where should I send my restitution, fine or special assessment fee payments?

If you were sentenced in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, payment should be sent to the Clerk of the Court, United States District Court, Alfred A. Arraj United States Courthouse, 901 19th Street, Room A-105, Denver, Colorado 80294-3589. Payments can also be made in person at the Clerk’s Office on the first floor of the same address during business hours. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Clerk of the Court, United States District Court and should indicate your case number. Alternatively, payment can be made online through Instructions can be found here. If you were sentenced in another federal court, you should contact the Clerk’s Office of that court for payment instructions.

How can I get off probation or supervised release supervision early?

Title 18 U.S.C. §§ 3564(c) and 3583(e)(1) permit the Court to terminate terms of supervised release or probation in felony cases after the expiration of one year of supervision if such action is warranted by the conduct of an offender and is in the interest of justice. You can discuss with your supervision officer and/or your attorney your eligibility and the process for requesting early termination of supervision.